Sclerosing Stromal Tumor of Ovary - A Rare Ovarian Disease Presenting With Hyperandrogenism: A Case Report
Sclerosing stromal tumor is a rare benign tumor of ovary with the peak incidence during second and third decades of life.
Pathologically, it is distinguished from other ovarian stromal tumors by the presence of plenty of collagen and a pseudo lobular
pattern. The cellular areas are separated by edematous and collagenous strands. Majority of patients presents with menstrual
irregularities, pelvic pain and abdominal lump. Though the tumors mostly do not produce hormones, both elevated estrogenic and
androgenic hormone production has been documented in few cases. This high hormone levels and menstrual problem usually
resolves after correcting surgery. No recurrence is often reported. In our case, the lady presented with amenorrhea, hirsuitism
and a huge lower abdominal mass. Serum testosterone level was elevated, other hormonal levels were within normal limits.
Chang Gung Med J 2003;26:444-8.
2. Chalvardjian A, Scully RE. Sclerosing stromal tumors of the ovary.
3. Saitoh A, Tsutsumi Y, Osamura RY, Watanabe K. Sclerosing stromal tumor
of the ovary. Immunohistochemical and electron-microscopic demonstration
of smooth-muscle differentiation. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1989;113:372-6.
4. Damajanov I, Drobnjak P, Grizelj V, Longhino N. Sclerosing
stromal tumor of the ovary: A hormonal and ultrastructural analysis.
Obstet Gynecol 1975;45:675-9.
5. Stylianidou A, Varras M, Akrivis C, Fylaktidou A, Stefanaki S, Antoniou N.
Sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary: A case report and review of the
literature. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2001;22:300-4.
6. Ihara N, Togashi K, Todo G, Nakai A, Kojima N, Ishigaki T, et al. Sclerosing
stromal tumor of the ovary: MRI. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1999;23:555-7.
7. Kawauchi S, Tsuji T, Kaku T, Kamura T, Nakano H, Tsuneyoshi M. Sclerosing
stromal tumor of the ovary: A clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical,
ultrastructural, and cytogenetic analysis with special reference to its
vasculature. Am J Surg Pathol 1998;22:83-92.
8. Lopes JM, Seruca R, Hall AP, Branco P, Castedo SM. Cytogenetic study of a
sclerosing stromal tumor of the ovary. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 1990;49:103-6.
9. Cashell AW, Cohen ML. Masculinizing sclerosing stromal tumor of the
ovary during pregnancy. Gynecol Oncol 1991;43:281-5.
10. Richardson GS, Ulfelder H. Problems presented by benign solid ovarian
tumors. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1961;4:834-45.