Carcinoma Gallbladder: A Review of Literature
Carcinoma of gallbladder is a very aggressive disease with poor outcomes. In spite of newer and advanced imaging techniques
and better understanding of the disease even at the molecular level there is increased the incidence of mortality seen with
this disease. This magnitude of the cancer problem in the Indian sub-continent (sheer numbers) is increasing due to, the poor
to moderate living standards and inadequate medical facilities. The prevalence of gallbladder cancer in India is estimated to
be around 2.5 million, with about 800,000 new cases and 550,000 deaths/annum. Women are more commonly affected than
men. The disease commonly occurs in the age group ranging from 29 to 90 years with a peak incidence in their 60’s with great
geographic and ethnic variation. Carcinoma gallbladder a disease, which was a disease of old age, is now also found commonly
in the younger age group also where it presents with greater ferocity.
National Cancer Registry Programme. New Delhi, India: Indian Council of
Medical Research; 1990-96.
2. Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, Forman D, Mathers C, Parkin DM. GLOBOCAN
2008, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide. IARC Cancer Base
No 10. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010.
3. Singh MK, Chetri K, Pandey UB, Kapoor VK, Mittal B, Choudhuri G.
Mutational spectrum of K-ras oncogene among Indian patients with
gallbladder cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;19:916-21.
4. Indian Council of Medical Research. Annual Report of Population Based
Cancer Registries of the National Programme (1993). New Delhi: ICMR;
5. Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, Storm H, Ferlay J, Heanue M, et al., editors.
Cancer Incidence in Five Continents. IARC Scientifi c Publication No. 160.
Vol. IX. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2007.
6. Chijiiwa K, Kimura H, Tanaka M. Malignant potential of the gallbladder in
patients with anomalous pancreaticobiliary ductal junction. The difference
in risk between patients with and without choledochal cyst. Int Surg
7. Kang CM, Kim KS, Choi JS, Lee WJ, Kim BR. Gallbladder carcinoma
associated with anomalous pancreaticobiliary duct junction. Can J
8. Giang TH, Ngoc TT, Hassell LA. Carcinoma involving the gallbladder:
a retrospective review of 23 cases - pitfalls in diagnosis of gallbladder
carcinoma. Diagn Pathol 2012;7:10.
9. Bartlett DL, Fong Y. In: Blumgart LH, Fong Y, Jarnagin WR, editors.
Hepatobiliary Cancer. Ch. 10. Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society;
2001. p. 211-24.
10. Kwon W, Jang JY, Lee SE, Hwang DW, Kim SW. Clinicopathologic features
of polypoid lesions of the gallbladder and risk factors of gallbladder cancer.
J Korean Med Sci 2009;24:481-7.
11. Lee SE, Jang JY, Lee YJ, Choi DW, Lee WJ, Cho BH, et al. Choledochal
cyst and associated malignant tumors in adults: a multicenter survey in
South Korea. Arch Surg 2011;146:1178-84.
12. Eldon A. Review gallbladder cancer: The basics. Gastroenterol Hepatol
13. Redaelli CA, Büchler MW, Schilling MK, Krähenbühl L, Ruchti C,
Blumgart LH, et al. High coincidence of Mirizzi syndrome and gallbladder
carcinoma. Surgery 1997;121:58-63.
14. Aldridge MC, Bismuth H. Gallbladder cancer: the polyp-cancer sequence.
Br J Surg 1990;77:363-4.
15. Kumar S, Kumar S, Kumar S. Infection as a risk factor for gallbladder
cancer. J Surg Oncol 2006;93:633-9.
16. Dutta U, Garg PK, Kumar R, Tandon RK. Typhoid carriers among patients
with gallstones are at increased risk for carcinoma of the gallbladder. Am J
17. D’Angelica M, Jarnagin WR. Tumors of the gall bladder. In: Blumgart LH,
editor. Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas. 4th ed. Vol. 1.
New York: W.B. Saunders; 2006. p. 764-81.
18. Myers RP, Shaffer EA, Beck PL. Gallbladder polyps: epidemiology, natural
history and management. Can J Gastroenterol 2002;16:187-94.
19. Kubota K, Bandai Y, Noie T, Ishizaki Y, Teruya M, Makuuchi M.
How should polypoid lesions of the gallbladder be treated in the era of
laparoscopic cholecystectomy? Surgery 1995;117:481-7.
20. Albores-Saavedra J, Henson DE. Atlas of Tumor Pathology: Tumors of the
Gallbladder and Extrahepatic Bile Ducts. Second Series. Fascicle 22. 2nd ed.
Bethesda, MD: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; 1986. p. 28-123.
21. Moerman CJ, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB. The epidemiology of gallbladder
cancer: lifestyle related risk factors and limited surgical possibilities for
prevention. Hepatogastroenterology 1999;46:1533-9.
22. Tyagi BB, Manoharan N, Raina V. Risk factors for gallbladder cancer:
A population based case-control study in Delhi. Indian J Med Pediatr Oncol
23. Pandey M, Shukla VK. Diet and gallbladder cancer: a case-control study.
Eur J Cancer Prev 2002;11:365-8.
24. Shukla VK, Shukla PK, Pandey M, Rao BR, Roy SK. Lipid peroxidation
product in bile from patients with carcinoma of the gallbladder: a
preliminary study. J Surg Oncol 1994;56:258-62.
25. Mancuso TF, Brennan MJ. Epidemiological considerations of cancer of the
gallbladder, bile ducts and salivary glands in the rubber industry. J Occup
26. Wee A, Teh M, Raju GC. Clinical importance of p53 protein in gall bladder
carcinoma and its precursor lesions. J Clin Pathol 1994;47:453-6.
27. Imai M, Hoshi T, Ogawa K. K-ras codon 12 mutations in biliary tract
tumors detected by polymerase chain reaction denaturing gradient gel
electrophoresis. Cancer 1994;73:2727-33.
28. Yanagisawa N, Mikami T, Koike M, Okayasu I. Enhanced cell kinetics, p53 accumulation and high p21WAF1 expression in chronic cholecystitis:
comparison with background mucosa of gallbladder carcinomas.
29. Chow NH, Huang SM, Chan SH, Mo LR, Hwang MH, Su WC. Signifi cance
of c-erbB-2 expression in normal and neoplastic epithelium of biliary tract.
Anticancer Res 1995;15:1055-9.
30. Fujii K, Yasui W, Shimamoto F, Yokozaki H, Nakayama H, Kajiyama G,
et al. Immunohistochemical analysis of nm23 gene product in human
gallbladder carcinomas. Virchows Arch 1995;426:355-9.
31. de Aretxabala X, Roa I, Burgos L, Losada H, Roa JC, Mora J, et al.
Gallbladder cancer: an analysis of a series of 139 patients with invasion
restricted to the subserosal layer. J Gastrointest Surg 2006;10:186-92.
32. Pandey SN, Srivastava A, Dixit M, Choudhuri G, Mittal B. Haplotype
analysis of signal peptide (insertion/deletion) and XbaI polymorphisms of
the APOB gene in gallbladder cancer. Liver Int 2007;27:1008-15.
33. Venniyoor A. Cholesterol gallstones and cancer of gallbladder (CAGB):
molecular links. Med Hypotheses 2008;70:646-53.
34. Roslyn JJ, Pitt HA, Mann LL, Ament ME, Den Besten L. Gallbladder
disease in patients on long-term parenteral nutrition. Gastroenterology
35. Boerma EJ. Towards an oncological resection of gall bladder cancer. Eur J
Surg Oncol 1994;20:537-44.
36. Nevin JE, Moran TJ, Kay S, King R. Carcinoma of the gallbladder: staging,
treatment, and prognosis. Cancer 1976;37:141-8.
37. Onoyama H, Yamamoto M, Tseng A, Ajiki T, Saitoh Y. Extended
cholecystectomy for carcinoma of the gallbladder. World J Surg
38. Bartlett DL, Fong Y. Tumors of the gallbladder. In: Blumgart LH, Fong Y,
editors. Surgery of the Liver and Biliary Tract. 3rd ed. New York: Churchill
Livingstone; 2000. p. 993-1015.
39. Wibbenmeyer LA, Sharafuddin MJ, Wolverson MK, Heiberg EV, Wade
TP, Shields JB. Sonographic diagnosis of unsuspected gallbladder cancer:
Imaging fi ndings in comparison with benign gallbladder conditions. AJR
Am J Roentgenol 1995;165:1169-74.
40. Misra S, Chaturvedi A, Misra NC, Sharma ID. Carcinoma of the gallbladder.
Lancet Oncol 2003;4:167-76.
41. Strom BL, Maislin G, West SL, Atkinson B, Herlyn M, Saul S, et al.
Serum CEA and CA 19-9: potential future diagnostic or screening tests for
gallbladder cancer? Int J Cancer 1990;45:821-4.
42. Ritts RE Jr, Nagorney DM, Jacobsen DJ, Talbot RW, Zurawski VR Jr.
Comparison of preoperative serum CA19-9 levels with results of diagnostic
imaging modalities in patients undergoing laparotomy for suspected
pancreatic or gallbladder disease. Pancreas 1994;9:707-16.
43. Kaufman M, Mehrotra B, Limaye S, White S, Fuchs A, Lebowicz Y, et al.
EGFR expression in gallbladder carcinoma in North America. Int J Med Sci
44. Chijiiwa K, Sumiyoshi K, Nakayama F. Impact of recent advances
in hepatobiliary imaging techniques on the preoperative diagnosis of
carcinoma of the gallbladder. World J Surg 1991;15:322-7.
45. Bergdahl I. Gallbladder carcinoma fi rst diagnosed at microscopic
examination of gallbladders removed for presumed benign disease. Ann
46. Gall FP, Köckerling F, Scheele J, Schneider C, Hohenberger W. Radical
operations for carcinoma of the gallbladder: present status in Germany.
World J Surg 1991;15:328-36.
47. Bartlett DL, Ramanathan RK, EdgerBen, Josef. Cancer of the biliary tree.
Cancer Principals and Practice of Oncology. 9th ed., Ch. 85. Philadelphia:
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2011. p. 1019-47.
48. Donohue JH, Nagorney DM, Grant CS, Tsushima K, Ilstrup DM,
Adson MA. Carcinoma of the gallbladder. Does radical resection improve
outcome? Arch Surg 1990;125:237-41.
49. Nakamura S, Sakaguchi S, Suzuki S, Muro H. Aggressive surgery for
carcinoma of the gallbladder. Surgery 1989;106:467-73.
50. Ogura Y, Mizumoto R, Isaji S, Kusuda T, Matsuda S, Tabata M. Radical
operations for carcinoma of the gallbladder: present status in Japan. World
J Surg 1991;15:337-43.
51. Baxter I, Garden OJ. Surgical palliation of carcinoma of the gallbladder.
52. Ouchi K, Owada Y, Matsuno S, Sato T. Prognostic factors in the surgical
treatment of gallbladder carcinoma. Surgery 1987;101:731-7.
53. Otero JC, Proske A, Vallilengua C, Luján M, Poletto L, Pezzotto SM, et al.
Gallbladder cancer: surgical results after cholecystectomy in 25 patients
with lamina propria invasion and 26 patients with muscular layer invasion.
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 2006;13:562-6.
54. Pawlik TM, Gleisner AL, Vigano L, Kooby DA, Bauer TW, Frilling A, et al.
Incidence of fi nding residual disease for incidental gallbladder carcinoma:
implications for re-resection. J Gastrointest Surg 2007;11:1478-86.
55. D’Angelica M, Dalal KM, DeMatteo RP, Fong Y, Blumgart LH,
Jarnagin WR. Analysis of the extent of resection for adenocarcinoma of the
gallbladder. Ann Surg Oncol 2009;16:806-16.
56. Ben-David MA, Griffi th KA, Abu-Isa E, Lawrence TS, Knol J,
Zalupski M, et al. External-beam radiotherapy for localized extrahepatic
cholangiocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006;66:772-9.
57. Balachandran P, Agarwal S, Krishnani N, Pandey CM, Kumar A, Sikora SS,
et al. Predictors of long-term survival in patients with gallbladder cancer.
J Gastrointest Surg 2006;10:848-54.